Around HereMonday, 13 February 2017
I'm on Week 2 of my two weeks off work and I'm not going to lie, lazing around home doing nothing has been good. Have I been super productive? Not really, but I kind of like being able to just do nothing and not feel super crappy about it! To have more than two days off a week is incredible, and as much as I would have loved to have been able to travel somewhere on my time off, it's also been nice to be able to relax and unwind!
Sydneysiders, well done on surviving the most bi-polar week of weather - some serious flooding to start the week off followed by three days of extreme heat and a power outage as a result. Not fun - thankfully there are kind people out there who are looking out for those who are the real victims of this heatwave, like this lady. Think of the animals!
WHERE: I've been hibernating a fair amount lately however Friday I decided to escape the 46 degree heat of where I live and chill out (literally) at Chinaman's Beach. If you follow me on Instagram you'll have noticed I've been frequenting this beach quite a lot, and documenting it in the most smug and boastful way. I can't help it, it's so beautiful! It's just a really nice quiet and calm beach, and I can go for a swim in the water without worrying about my belongings being stolen. What a luxury!
Whilst I opted to stay indoors for most of Saturday, accepting the fact that the heat may actually kill me, I did go out that evening for some dinner and drinks in the newly refurbished Barangaroo, which by the way is incredible. They should have re-done that area years ago! We ate at Bórn By Tapavino which was like a contemporary take on tapas. The Kingfish Cruda was SO good, in fact everything we ate was just incredibly fresh and light which was perfect on such a hot night! We also took a short walk to RivaReno Gelato which is probably the best gelato I've had in my life (sorry Messina). I had the 'Ricotta E Fichi' (Ricotta with Caramelised Fig) and now I don't think I can eat any other flavour. Ever.
Yesterday, I wearily got up early and made the trek to West Head Lookout with my brother. I'd never even heard of this place before and yet I literally grew up about twenty minutes away. It's right in the middle of the National Park and directly overlooks Palm Beach, with views out to the Central Coast. It was a beautiful day - hot, but not as uncomfortable as the previous days. We also had lunch at Cottage Point which I haven't been to since I was a kid, and it was really nice sitting by the water and feeling that cool change blow through. I had one of those moments where I remembered how much I loved Sydney, and how much it has to offer. I hate it sometimes, but if I ever had to move away I would miss it so much! I am so lucky to call this place home, it's just a shame I will probably never be able to afford to buy a house here.
WATCH: I'm not sure why, but I got the strongest urge to re-watch the entire series of Weeds when I started my holidays, and so I did. All 8 seasons. It's one of those shows that was really great in the beginning and then got really weird towards the end, but it always leaves you on the edge of your seat, so you keep watching. Has anyone else here watched the show?
As I'm typing this, I'm also about halfway into Santa Clarita Diet. I wasn't sure about this show when I first heard about it, but I have a massive fondness for Drew Barrymore so I decided to start watching it anyway. It's surprisingly pretty good - weird as hell, but good. It's very easy to watch, which I like. I can stick it on in the background, do other tasks, and still know what's happening. I also love Timothy Olyphant, and he isn't bad to look at!
Otherwise, I have been sucked into re-watching all those movies we grew up watching as teenagers - I'm talking late 90's/early 2000's chick flicks and comedies. My favourites were Jawbreaker, Never Been Kissed, The Craft, Scream and basically all of the Scary Movie franchise. I might even pull out my American Pie DVD's - I can't believe how cool those movies used to be! Whatever, I still think they're cool, let's be honest. Let me know what your favourite movies were, I'm still looking for new ones to watch again!
LISTEN: This is short and sweet because I actually haven't been listening to any new music lately, just bits and pieces here and there. This past month I've been really digging my old favourites, which never fail to take people by surprise. Metallica, Nine Inch Nails, The Pixies, Placebo and Pearl Jam are some of my favourites to turn up really loud in the car and just totally rock out to. Or in the case of Placebo, sing mournfully to. It's truly a throwback to my highschool days but every so often I just remember how awesome they are and I don't even care if I look like an idiot in the car!
On a totally unrelated note, I am obsessed with Ed Sheeran's 'Shape Of You', even though it sounds exactly like this song to me. He just doesn't ever make a bad song, does he?
BITS & PIECES:
- I am more and more leaning towards moving my blog over to Wordpress. Squarespace sounds amazing too, but something about Wordpress feels more comfortable with me. I would love your opinions if you have swapped from Blogger to either platform - good and bad! The interface of Squarespace looks so inviting, but I like the customisation of Wordpress more so definitely interested on hearing peoples thoughts on that topic specifically.
- Can Kmart stop getting better and better because my bank account is getting less and less and now it's getting ridiculous.
- I know it doesn't look the greatest, but this corn and eggplant based recipe was SO delicious. If you are vegetarian and looking for something different, you should try this!
- I am seriously obsessed with Grocery Hauls and What I Eat In A Day videos, like seriously obsessed. I kind of want to film one but I also don't know if anyone else would want to watch that?
- Low key in love with everything Gucci right now. Rather unfortunate as I am also low key broke. I'm not embarassed to admit I love that Gucci t-shirt and belt that everyone is wearing/showing off. I don't care - it's cool and I want it. I also want this bag.
- West Elm have released new sofas and I love them all and yes, I get excited about sofas now. They would fit perfectly into my non-existent mid century modern apartment.